Information

The Stimson-Green Mansion


The Stimson Mansion, later the Stimson-Green Mansion, designed and built by Spokane Architect Kirtland Cutter, for Charles D. Stimson and his wife Harriet Stimson was started after The Great Seattle Fire of June 6, 1889, and completed in 1901. The Mansion was and remains one of Seattle's most impressive examples of eclectic architecture, and is a beautifully preserved example of a fashionable turn-of-the-century Seattle home. One of the few surviving substantial First Hill homes to have survived in its original form, the Stimson-Green House today provides the rare opportunity to visit residential life in early 20th-century Seattle.The house's exterior half-timber work, and stucco surfaces, its steeply pitched roof, its many ornamented wooden gables, and pointed arches, casement windows with diamond-shaped leaded panes, and elaborate chimneys, is stylistically medieval English Tudor. The elegant, 10,000-square-foot interior included paneled wainscoting, a dining room frieze, and a library fireplace surround that featured a pair of hand-carved lions.Each room in the Stimson mansion reflects a different architectural style, especially on the building's first floor, its most public story. If the front entry hall directly reflected the building's exterior, the visitor might expect exposed rough-hewn rafters and rustic lanterns common to English Revival styles like the Tudor. This direct view from the front door is dramatic and is one of the house's most obvious theatrical contrivances.The grand entry hall, vaulted ceiling, with highly finished, exposed beams and a richly painted canvas surface, its oak-paneled wainscoting, and carved pillars. This floor plan entices guest to mingle and enjoy the company and surroundings.A doorway on the left side of the entry hall leads to Mrs. (Harriet) Stimson's tea and reception room. The style of the room is often called French Empire or simply "Empire." Classical elements like those seen in the curved ceiling elements of this room were common to this style. The refined marble fireplace and mantle of this room provide a striking contrast to the fireplace in the library lying on the opposite side of the front entry hall.The elegant library is saturated with Gothic details, and is larger than the tearoom. The bookcases resemble windows in a Gothic church due to the architect's use of pointed arches and intricate detailing.A stage area rises on the East Side of the library and leads into the central hallway and the dining room. An upright piano stood on stage as accompaniment.The dining room's warm sycamore paneling and elegantly carved mantle are offset by its indigo glass tile fireplace surround and a narrative frieze running just below the ceiling around the entire room. The dining room lies near the house's kitchen and a dumbwaiter, which moved heavy trays and services between the building's four levels, basement including wine cellar, the formal first floor, the sleeping, private second floor, and the third or servants' floor. The house's first cooks used a coal-burning oven. The servants' floor had a separate stairway that led to the pastry and serving pantries, and to the kitchen.One of the most extravagant rooms in the Stimson mansion was inspired by Eastern traditions. As in all the rooms, Cutter carefully selected the original furniture and drapery to reflect the room's theme.The house was purchased, and rescued from demolition, by Historic Seattle in 1975. Working with Historic Seattle, the city's Landmarks Preservation Board guaranteed preservation of the mansion's exterior and significant interior spaces. The home was listed on both the state and national historic registers and designated a City of Seattle landmark.


Watch the video: Seattles Stimson-Green Mansion (January 2022).