West Ham United: Fergus Hunt

Born: Masborough (1875)

Signed: 1900 (Woolwich Arsenal)

Position: Right Winger

Appearances: 48

Goals: 10

Left: 1902 (Bury)

Internation Caps:


Fergus Hunt began his career in Mexborough before playing for Middlesbrough Ironopolis and Darwin, where he scored 27 goals in 57 league games. In 1897 Hunt joined Woolwich Arsenal and was top scorer at the club for the next two seasons. In 1900 Arnold Hills decided to bring in some experienced players to his new West Ham side. The club made several new signings that year including Fergus Hunt, Hugh Monteith (Bristol City) Freddie Fenton (Gainsborough), George Radcliffe (Grimsby Town), James Reid (Port Vale), Albert Kaye (Chatham) and Billy Grassam (Port Vale). However, Hunt only managed to score 3 goals in 27 league games in that season. In the 1901-1902 season his form was slightly better and although he only played in 15 games he scored six goals. Hunt returned to Woolwich Arsenal in 1902 but failed to recapture his earlier performances. Fergus Hunt also played for Fulham and Burton United at the end of his career.

Latest Opinion

Back in 2004, readers of voted for their greatest West Ham moments.

With several years having passed since - during which we've witnessed a number of memorable occasions, matches and goals - we decided to revisit the list - for a second time (the first being in 2011) - in order to include some more recent events.

Due to the vast size, we'll be breaking our countdown down into ten parts here follows part nine - that's entries 20 to 11. Please note the number in brackets represents the entry's previous position in our list.

It had been 83 years since West Ham had lost an FA Cup Final. Since losing 2-0 to Bolton in 1923 the Hammers had overcome Blackburn, Preston, Fulham and Arsenal to lift the Cup in the shadow of the Twin Towers. However all those games had taken place at Wembley - unlike the 2006 Final between West Ham and Liverpool, which was being staged at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as the old Empire Stadium had been reduced to rubble in order to be replaced by a new, state-of-the-art venue.

West Ham, only promoted from the Championship via the play-offs the season before had beaten Norwich, Blackburn, Bolton, Manchester City and Middlesbrough en route to Cardiff, where they would play for the third season in succession.

Massive underdogs on the day, Alan Pardew''s side found themselves 2-0 up within half-an-hour A Jamie Carragher own goal and another from Dean Ashton after Reina fumbled had put Alan Pardew's side in total command. However the two-goal cushion was to last for just four minutes as Djibril Cisse pulled one back for Liverpool, which is how it remained until the break.

When Steven Gerrard equalised for the favourites on 54 minutes most of the attending Hammers faithful agreed that we'd blown our chance - that was until Paul Konchesky's cross sailed over a shocked Pepe Reina's head into the back of the net to put United back in front with 64 minutes on the clock.

West Ham were less than a minute away from winning the Cup when Gerrard fired home his second from some 30 yards many still blame Lionel Scaloni for his poor clearance that led to the goal. That's how it stayed throughout extra time - the injured Marlon Harewood may have won it for the Hammers had he been able to meet Yossi Benayoun's cross - and Liverpool breezed the ensuing penalty shootout. The game is widely considered to be one of the best FA Cup Finals in the competition's history.

There have been some notoriously awful refereeing performances in West Ham's fixtures over the years, but none will ever match the inept efforts of a certain Keith Hackett who was charged with overseeing second division United's 1991 FA Cup semi-final against first division Nottingham Forest.

Midway through the opening half, Gale - who received only seven yellow cards in his entire 21-year professional career - tripped Forest's Gary Crosby somewhere around the halfway line as the winger attempted to burst beyond West Ham's defensive line - a reasonably innocuous foul in the grand scheme of things.

Yet to the surprise and astonishment of Gale and everybody else packed inside a full-to-bursting Villa Park, Hackett delved into his pocket before producing a red card. The ensuing protests were ignored and in vain - and the Hammers were left to play with only ten men for the remainder of the match.

That Billy Bonds' side kept the game goalless until the break was testament to their courage and endeavour, although their luck was to last for just four minutes after the teams returned for the second period. Crosby scored the first of four second half goals as Forest ran amok - unsurprisingly perhaps, given their opposition were from a division below and left with a numerical disadvantage - although the real story of the day was to emerge well away from the playing area.

After Stuart Pearce had made it 3-0 to Forest with 20 minutes to go, a not unusual rendition of, "Billy Bonds' claret and blue army" began to ring out from the West Ham end of the ground as Irons fans, resigned to the inevitable defeat that was to follow, began to pay homage to their heroes. Unique however was that this particular outburst of singing was to last for the remainder of the match which left both commentators and the following days' newspapers praising Hammers' fans for their unrelenting, noisy support - something which has never quite been equalled in the UK on the terraces to this day.

Few people alive today will have had the pleasure of watching Charlie Bicknell play for West Ham United. But his name shall forever be associated with club folklore, for he was the first Hammer to lift a Cup at Wembley when West Ham beat Blackburn Rovers in the 1940 FA War Cup.

With the FA Cup and regular Football League programme suspended due to the ongoing Second World War, the Football Association replaced the knockout competition with the War Cup. West Ham's path to Wembley had included defeats of Chelsea, Leicester City, Huddersfield Town, Birmingham City and Fulham and they lined up against underdogs Rovers in front of just over 42,000 spectators (for a 6:30pm kick off), many of whom were soldiers recovering from wounds inflicted by the conflict.

The only goal of the game came from ambulance-builder Sam Small, who pounced on George Foreman's shot that had been spilled by 'keeper Jim Barron after 34 minutes. At the end of a fiercely-fought contest, Bicknall climbed the famous thirty nine steps to claim the trophy - and it was to be another 24 years before Bobby Moore emulated the full back when Ron Greenwood's side beat Preston.

For the second time in 11 years the Hammers - this time under the guidance of John Lyall - had fought and battled their way to the Final of the Cup Winners' Cup. But whereas in 1965 West Ham had enjoyed home advantage with the match staged at Wembley, this time it was opponents Anderlecht with the upper hand as the final was held at Belgium's Heysel Stadium - later to become infamous as the venue where 39 Juventus supporters lost their lives.

In front of a mostly partisan 58,000 crowd - which nonetheless included several-thousand Hammers who had made the short ferry trip across the English Channel - United took the lead through Patsy Holland. Having fallen 2-1 behind, Keith Robson drew West Ham level before man of the match Robbie Rensenbrink made it 3-2 from the penalty spot.

Frankie van der Elst - who was to sign for the Hammers six years later - ended the game as a contest with a fourth goal five minutes from time. Still, most agreed that it had been a fantastic adventure following trips to Finland, the old USSR, the Netherlands and Germany - even though the journey ultimately ended on a sour note.

West Ham had been languishing in the old Second Division since having been relegated in 1932. At the time, there was little to suggest that the Hammers deserved to be anywhere else having spent just eight years of their existence playing in the nation's top flight during the 1920s and early '30s - although that was all about to change.

Manager Ted Fenton, in place since 1950 having replaced Charlie Paynter was beginning to see the fruits of his labour materialise after he instigated what amounted to the club's first successful youth Academy. Although Fenton's youngsters were beginning to make an impression by 1957 - an appearance in the FA Youth Cup Final, a second successive Southern Junior Floodlit Cup win and strong performances in continental competitions all contributed to their growing reputation - it was upon a couple of imports that Fenton relied to drive his side to unexpected promotion in 1958.

John Dick and Vic Keeble relocated from Glasgow and Colchester (via Newcastle) respectively, but between them scored 40 goals to help fire West Ham towards Division 1 in 1957/58 - with able assistance from 30-year old Billy Dare (14 goals) and 18-year-old local boy John Smith (11 goals).

On 26th April 1958, Fenton's Hammers travelled to Middlesbrough knowing victory would guarantee a return to the top flight - although Blackburn, Charlton and Liverpool were snapping at their heels. In front of a capacity crowd of 30,000 Keeble and Dick both struck - as did Malcolm Musgrove (a tough ex-squaddie from Northumberland) - to give West Ham a 3-1 win that not only guaranteed the club Division One football for the first time since the Second World War, but also the club's first Football League trophy as Division Two Champions.

The passing of England's greatest ever captain Bobby Moore at the age of just 51 - a victim of bowel cancer - shocked an entire nation. When his criminally-early death was announced in late February 1993, thousands of football supporters from across the nation made the pilgrimage to Upton Park in order to lay wreaths, football shirts, poems and verse or any kinds of paraphernalia associated with Moore, England or West Ham at the gates of the Boleyn Ground.

It was the kind of scene which is commonplace these days with public grieving being far more socially acceptable. But back in the early 1990s, prior to the mass-mourned death of Princess Diana the response to Moore's passing was an extraordinary and unique occurrence.

Green Street turned into a shrine to West Ham and England's number six, whose part in the nation's 1966 World Cup win had ensured he remained in the heart of every English football fan. The first game following his death, against Wolves, was preceded by the placing of a huge wreath in the centre circle by Bobby's fellow World Cup-winning Hammers team mates Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters. Moore's better-known number six shirt (he often wore number five during his early years) was finally retired for go od in 2008 following a supporters' campaign.

It was the dawn of a new era. A newly-professional West Ham United had risen from the ashes of the disbanded Thames Ironworks FC, the works football club established by Old Harrovian Arnold Hills five years earlier in 1895.

United's first fixture in the 1900/01 Southern League First Division campaign was against Gravesend, a match played in front of 2,000 supporters at Plaistow's Memorial Ground - one of a number of venues the club called home before finally settling at the Boleyn Ground in 1904 - where the club would remain for the next 112 years.

The day - 1st September 1900 - belonged to William Grassam, who scored four of West Ham's seven goals a nd in doing so, be came the club's first player to record a hat-trick. Also getting in on the act were James Reid (with two goals) - a Scot like Grassam who also arrived at United via Burslem Port V ale - and Yorkshire-born Fergus Hunt. The 7-0 win was the club's biggest win of the season - and one that has rarely been bettered since.

Just four days before Alan Pardew's side were scheduled to face Middlesbrough in an FA Cup semi final at Villa Park on 23rd April 2006, West Ham United were rocked by the news that legendary manager John Lyall had died following a heart attack.

The effervescent Lyall, who was just 66, had managed West Ham for 15 years between 1974 and 1989, having first joined the club as a youth played in 1955. His record - arguably the most successful of any Hammers manager in history - included two FA Cup wins, a Cup Winners Cup Final appearance and a third-place finish in Division One, during the 1985/86 season, the club's best-ever top flight finish. His passing was a double blow to the club who had lost Lyall's mentor, Ron Greenwood, just two months earlier.

The day therefore promised to be an emotionally-charged affair for West Ham and its supporters even before it was decided that the match would be preceded by a minutes' silence in honour of Lyall. Pardew, never one to miss a trick had already declared that his team would, "pay tribute to John's memory in a fitting manner" when taking on 'Boro, adding that the supporters would do the same. Which is exactly what happened, although nobody could have possibly envisaged the manner in which it did.

As the two teams lined up around the perimeter of the centre circle ahead of the planned silence, a deadly hush arose around the ground. Referee Mike Riley blew his whistle to announce the beginning of the tribute - but after just a few seconds, the silence was broken by a lone voice from the West Ham end. Brave, stupid or otherwise, a slow, mournful rendition of "Johnny Lyall's claret and blue army" was the individual's refrain - and within seconds, nearly all of the West Ham fans present had joined in to salute their former manager.

The West Ham bench looked at each other not knowing quite how to respond and the 'Boro fans, not understanding what was happening began to boo. Consequently Riley blew his whistle some 20 seconds early. However that failed to detract from what was the most spontaneous and heartfelt tribute to Lyall that the club's supporters could have conjured up.

One suspects the amiable Lyall would have afforded himself a wry smile at what was a most unique and spectacular tribute. There is no question he would've been delighted when Marlon Harewood scored the only goal of the game that sent West Ham through to the Final for the first time since Lyall's team beat Arsenal in one of the competition's greatest upsets 26 years earlier.

Seven months prior to the 1981 League Cup Final, John Lyall's FA Cup winners had been beaten 1-0 by league champions Liverpool in the Charity Shield, although the defeat had been far more comprehensive than the scoreline suggested. A similar outcome was therefore expected when West Ham, flying high at the top of Division 2 met the soon-to-be European Cup winners on a sunny day at Wembley in mid-March.

Following a deeply disappointing 90 minutes in which both teams mostly cancelled each other out, the game finally erupted into life with just three minutes of extra time remaining. Alan Kennedy's shot beat Phil Parkes but despite an offside Sammy Lee clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's view, referee Clive Thomas allowed the goal to stand (much to the fury of John Lyall who, quite out of character, was later sanctioned for a post-match outburst in which he was critical of the controversial Welsh official).

Most inside Wembley thought that was game over - but West Ham had other ideas. With seconds remaining, Alvin Martin's goalbound header produced the save of the season from Terry McDermott. Unfortunately for Liverpool McDermott was an outfield player, hence Thomas had little choice but to point to the spot.

Wembley held its breath as 21-year-old Ray Stewart strode towards the spot, before placing his spot kick to Ray Clemence's right and earn Lyall's Second Civision Hammers a most unexpected replay at Villa Park. Sadly the second tie proved too much for West Ham, who went down 2-1 on the night despite having taken an early lead through Paul Goddard.

A fiery 1980 FA Cup semi final that saw Everton finish the game with only ten men after Brian Kidd has seen red for squaring up to Ray Stewart ended in a stalemate after Kidd's first half penalty - conceded by Alan Devonshire - has been cancelled out by Stuart Pearson' late equaliser at Villa Park.

That, combined with Bryan Hamilton's late strike being disallowed by Clive Thomas meant the two teams were to meet again at Elland Road four days later for the replay, with the suspended Kidd replaced by Imre Varadi. As was often the case at the time, John Lyall's second division side were the underdogs - with many commentators being of the opinion that the Irons had blown their best chance of meeting Arsenal in the Final having failed to dispose of the Merseysiders in the first match.

Yet with 90 minutes played - during which Billy Bonds had emerged as something of a defensive colossus having almost single-handedly kept the Hammers in the tie with a wonderful display - there was still nothing between the two teams as the replay entered extra time.

With both sides visibly flagging after their second highly-charged meeting inside 96 hours, mistakes were inevitable and four minutes after the restart, Alan Devonshire took advantage of some lax defending by the opposition to put West Ham ahead on the night and for the first ti time in six years.

Trevor Brooking's deep cross into the penalty box was nodded back into the centre by David Cross, who was to play a pivotal role at Wembley a month later. Out of nowhere, right back Frank Lampard - who had stayed up following an attack moments earlier - dived forwards to head towards goal. Toffee's 'keeper Martin Hodge appeared to have it covered, but Lampard's header took a single bounce before the ball, almost in slow motion, bounced over the line before nestling itself in the corner of the net.

Without doubt the most important of the 22 goals he scored during his 674-game career, Lampard raced away towards the far corner flag before dancing a merry and impromptu jig around the corner flag. The celebration spawned a famous terrace chant, sung to the tune of Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas' - and Frank secured his place in West Ham folklore as a result.

* Like to share your thoughts on this article? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.


West Ham United took up tenancy of the Boleyn Ground from local club Boleyn Castle in 1904, after the two clubs amalgamated. [3] West Ham rented Green Street House and grounds in East Ham from the Roman Catholic Church from around 1912. [ citation needed ] Green Street House was known locally as Boleyn Castle because of its imposing nature and an association with Anne Boleyn, who had either stayed at or, as some believe, owned the house. Hence the ground became known as the Boleyn Ground. The ground was also often referred to as Upton Park, after the Upton Park, London area where it is located.

In August 1944, a V-1 flying bomb fell on the south-west corner of the pitch. This forced West Ham to play its matches at other grounds while repairs were undertaken, but it did not affect performances as West Ham managed nine consecutive victories. Upon their return to the ground in December 1944, they lost 1–0 to Tottenham Hotspur.

By 1990, West Ham were required to convert Upton Park into an all-seater stadium for the 1994-95 season in order to comply with the requirements of the Taylor Report. The first stage of the redevelopment came in 1993, when the South Bank was replaced by a 9,000 seat, two-tier stand named in honour of former captain Bobby Moore, who had died earlier that year. The stand incorporated executive boxes as well as a digital clock. The North Bank was demolished in 1994 and a new 6,000 seat, two-tier stand named the "Centenary Stand" was opened on its site the following year this was later renamed the "Sir Trevor Brooking Stand". The East Stand Lower was also converted into an all-seater stand.

The final change came in 2000, when the West Stand was replaced by a 15,000 seat, two-tier stand named the "Dr. Martens Stand". The stand incorporated executive boxes on two levels as well as the West Ham United Hotel. This gave the stadium a 35,000 all-seater capacity.

There were plans to increase the capacity to approximately 40,500 through the building of a new larger East Stand, that would have used the spare space created when the Doctor Martens stand was built further West than the old West Stand. However, these plans never came to fruition.

Decision to demolish Edit

Through 2006, talk was rife of West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Summer Olympics, with speculation increasing after new club chairman Eggert Magnusson confirmed he was interested in a move there. [4] However, talks broke down between the club and the Olympic Committee after it was announced the Stadium would be reduced to a 25,000 capacity all-seater after the Olympic Games, which was 10,000 less than the Boleyn Ground's capacity, and the stadium would be keeping its running track, leaving supporters further from the pitch and affecting the atmosphere within the stadium. Rumours suggested West Ham might move to a new stadium at the Parcelforce depot near to West Ham Underground/mainline station instead. Indeed, on 7 November 2007, Mayor of London Ken Livingstone announced a new site had been identified for West Ham's new stadium. [5]

However, in 2009, club CEO Scott Duxbury announced West Ham had obtained planning permission to expand the East Stand this would have brought the stadium's capacity over 40,000. [6]

Then, in 2010, new club owners David Gold and David Sullivan announced West Ham would move to the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Olympics after all. [7] On 23 March 2010, the club announced it was working on a joint bid with Newham London Borough Council to move into the Olympic Stadium. [8] On 30 September 2010, the club formally submitted its bid for the Olympic Stadium with a presentation at 10 Downing Street, [9] and the world's largest live entertainment company Live Nation endorsed the club's Olympic Stadium plans on 8 October 2010. [10] Three days after Live Nation's endorsement UK Athletics confirmed its formal support for West Ham United and Newham Council in their joint bid to take over the Olympic Stadium in legacy mode. [11] In November 2010, West Ham commenced a search for potential developers for "informal discussions" about what would happen to the ground if it did take over the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games. [12]

On 11 February 2011, the Olympic Park Legacy Committee selected West Ham as the preferred club to move into the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games. The decision, in favour of West Ham's bid, was unanimous. [13] On 3 March 2011, West Ham United's proposed move to the Olympic Stadium was approved by the British government and London mayor Boris Johnson but due to ongoing legal challenges to the arrangement by Tottenham Hotspur and Leyton Orient, the deal to sell the Olympic Stadium to West Ham collapsed on 11 October 2011, [14] West Ham announced plans to become tenants of the stadium [15] and on 22 March 2013 after months of voting and negotiations, West Ham won the Olympic Stadium bidding. West Ham were offered a 99-year lease and hoped to move there in time for the 2016–17 season. [16]

In February 2014, West Ham announced the sale of the Boleyn Ground to the development company the Galliard Group, to be effected once the move to the Olympic Stadium was complete.

The final game Edit

When the Premier League fixtures were drawn-up at the start of the 2015–16 Premier League season, Swansea City were planned to be West Ham's final opponents at the Boleyn Ground, on 7 May 2016. [17] However, due to Manchester United's involvement in the FA Cup on 23 April when they were due to play West Ham, the fixture was rearranged to 10 May 2016. [18] The match was preceded by violence on Green Street when the coach carrying the players and staff of Manchester United was pelted with missiles resulting in broken windows. With the coach delayed, the players were late arriving at the ground and the scheduled 19:45 kick-off was moved to 20:15. [19]

In the 2,398th match played at the ground, [20] with both sides looking to qualify for European football in the 2016–17 season, in front of a crowd of 34,907, West Ham took the lead in the tenth minute through Diafra Sakho, only for Manchester United to make the score 1–2 with two goals from Anthony Martial. However, Michail Antonio equalized for West Ham and Winston Reid scored a third in the 80th minute to make it 3–2, the final score. [21] [22] It was West Ham's 384th Premier League match at the ground, the win signifying 601 home Premier League points won there. [22] Mark Noble was named Man of the Match. [22] The match was followed by a 45-minute display on the pitch in celebration of the history of the ground. [22] The following day, the club condemned the violence aimed at the Manchester United coach, vowing to ban for life any person convicted. [19] Three people were arrested on the night of the game, two for pitch incursion and one for throwing a bottle at the police. The following day, the Metropolitan Police issued pictures of four men they hoped to identify in connection with the coach attack. [23]

Closure, demolition and redevelopment Edit

The sale of the Ground was completed on 15 July 2016, at a sale price of £40,000,000. [24] The developer's plans include 838 new homes, retail outlets and leisure facilities which will be available by 2018. The possibility of a statue of Bobby Moore and a landscaped garden named after him has also been revealed. The plans caused controversy for only including 51 "affordable" homes and no social housing. [25] [26] In March 2016, plans were approved for 800 homes to be built on the site, 25% of which would be affordable housing. [27] On 14 March 2016, the dismantling of the ground began with the removal of the John Lyall gates for transfer and reinstallation at the Olympic Stadium. [28] By July 2016, the seats had been removed from the ground and it was boarded-up and handed over to developers for demolition and redevelopment. [29] In August 2016, ownership of the site was transferred to Barratt London. [30] In September 2016, the ground was used as a film-set for the film Final Score [31] and on 27 September 2016 it hosted a charity match shortly before demolition commenced. [32] 1,000 of 1,400 commemorative bricks were saved by Jonjo Heuerman when the wall they were in was taken down, and are available to be claimed by the fans who paid for them. The inscriptions have been reproduced in a pathway at the new ground. [33]


Alisson Becker became the first goalkeeper in the history of Liverpool Football Club to score a goal in a competitive fixture as his stunning header helped Jurgen Klopp's men beat West Ham United 2-1 in a crucial Premier League encounter.

Becker slotted in a Trent Alexander Arnold corner in the fifth minute of the stoppage time as Liverpool came back from a goal down to seal 3 crucial points as the race for Premier League top 4 heads towards a thrilling finish.'

Liverpool are at the 5th spot with 63 points, 1 less than 4th-placed Chelsea after 36 games in the season. Tottenham Hotspur, who defeated Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 earlier in the day, are now 4 points behind Liverpool at the 6th spot.

1 - In Liverpool's entire club history since they were founded in 1892, Alisson is the first goalkeeper ever to score a competitive goal for the club. Absurd.

— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 16, 2021

Striker Hal Robson-Kanu had scored in his first Premier League start in three-and-a-half years to give West Brom the lead, but Mohamed Salah equalised for the visitors to move level with Tottenham Hotspur forward Harry Kane on 22 Premier League goals for the season.

Both sides missed opportunities to add to their score, but it was Alisson's incredible late winner that clinched a precious victory for the visitors.

Fascinating report reveals the inside story of Frank Lampard's sacking at Chelsea

Antonio Rudiger and Mateo Kovacic 'went directly to the board' to talk about Frank Lampard

FIFA wonderkid Anders Vejrgang has now taken his FUT Champs undefeated record to 450-0

Interested in: Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs fan with a long history of seeing us bottle huge opportunities. If a player is touched in the area, they should always go down.

Loan Watch: Wins for Olatunji Akinola and Xande Silva

Four West Ham United loanees featured for their adopted sides over the weekend, with two – Olatunji Akinola and Xande Silva – securing important victories for their side.

Representing Leyton Orient, 22-year-old defender Akinola once again played an important part in keeping a clean sheet for the O’s as they defeated Barrow 2-0 at the Breyer Group Stadium.

The shutout was Akinola’s 15th in 29 League Two appearances this season, with the versatile defender reverting to right-back for Jobi McAnuff’s reinvigorated side.

From the flank, Akinola won three aerial duels and contributed two successful tackles, a clearance, an interception and a blocked shot, according to respected analytics website

Academy of Football graduate Dan Kemp was involved in both of Leyton Orient’s second-half goals, playing the cross which eventually led to Dan Happe hooking home early in the second half, before rifling in a low strike from the edge of the area himself.

The win keeps Leyton Orient in the hunt for a Play-Off place, just a point behind Newport County in the all-important seventh spot – albeit having played a game more.

Also vying in the upper echelons of the fourth-tier table are Oladapo Afolayan and Bolton Wanderers, both of whom suffered a setback to their automatic promotion hopes with a 2-1 defeat at Grimsby Town on Saturday afternoon.

After seeing his side fall behind to Jay Matete’s opening-minute strike, Afolayan was unable to convert a couple of half-chances that came his way before being replaced with 20 minutes to go.

The Trotters went two behind in the closing minutes when Ira Jackson Jr poked home from close range, before Shaun Miller blasted home a consolation goal in the sixth minute of injury time.

Still in third place, Bolton will have the opportunity to immediately bounce back when they host Carlisle United at the University of Bolton Stadium on Tuesday.

In Super League Greece, Xande Silva was a late substitute for Aris Thessaloniki FC as they secured a valuable three points away at ten-man Panathinaikos.

The 24-year-old winger entered the fray with his team, who suffered a damaging defeat against AEK Athens the previous weekend, having overturned a first-half deficit against a Panathinaikos team who had scored with their only shot of the match.

Dimitris Manos and Mateo Garcia had scored quickfire second-half goals to overturn that lead, with Silva coming on in the 86th minute to help his adopted team see out a win which restores them to second place in the Super League Greece table, with just six games left to play.

Elsewhere, Alfie Lewis added to his League of Ireland debut last week with another appearance off the bench for St Patrick’s Athletic, who drew 1-1 at Dundalk on Saturday.

The 21-year-old midfielder, who is set to stay with the Pats until the end of June, featured for the final five minutes, helping to see out a spell of heavy pressure to secure a point which keeps his side joint-top of the early-season table after five matches.

And in League Two, Aji Alese was an unused substitute for Cambridge United as the U’s maintained their top-of-the-table standing with a 1-0 win at Newport County’s Rodney Parade.

Fellow defender Gonçalo Cardoso also remained on the bench for FC Basel in their 5-0 Swiss Super League victory over Servette, a result which lifts the Portuguese’s adopted team into second place in their hunt for European qualification.

Latest Opinion

Back in 2004, readers of voted for their greatest West Ham moments. With seven years having passed since - during which we've witnessed a number of memorable occasions, matches and goals - we decided to revisit the list in order to include some of these more recent events.

We'll be bringing you the full top 100 over the course of the next few weeks for now here's part three of our countdown - entries 80 to 71.

On a chilly November day in 1970 West Ham were entertaining Wolves in a Division One fixture. With the game barely minutes old a Bobby Moore headed clearance - described elsewhere as 'thunderous' - caught Welsh referee Gerrard Lewis squarely on the side of the noggin, knocking the unfortunate official out cold.

As the game continued around him, Moore noticed that Lewis was struggling to respond and immediately ran to the referee before calmly picking up his whistle and blowing it to bring the game to a halt, allowing medical assistants from both clubs to attend to the stricken Lewis. Having deployed the smelling salts, Moore checked with Lewis to see how we was before handing the official's whistle back to him upon which the game continued.

The two sides went on to play out an entertaining 3-3 draw referee Lewis - whose unfortunate accident was chuckled at by millions on Match of the Day that night - continued to officiate at the highest level for many years after - however it is for the Moore incident that he remains remembered today.

West Ham, struggling to recreate the form of the previous season went into this Today League Division One fixture with Watford just four places above the relegation zone and with just ten games of the season remaining. With game against Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd to follow a win was essential in order to give themselves a little breathing space. However with the game entering the last minute - and with neither side yet to score - a point appeared the likely outcome.

Left-back George Parris had been moved into midfield by John Lyall to allow for the debut of Scottish full-back Tommy McQueen. As the ball goes out of play Parris asks referee Ian Borrett (who famously responded to a complaint by former Crystal Palace manager Alan Smith with 'I'm having a crap game and nothing you say will change it') how long is left, to which the official replies 'a minute'. Fuelled by his newly-acquired knowledge, Parris picked up the ball 30 yards from goal, took aim and fired - sending the ball into Tony Coton's top corner to win the game - West Ham's first win since New Year's Day and one that inspired them to a 3-1 victory over Arsenal 10 days later.

Liam Brady was quite simply a footballing genius. Whether at Arsenal, Juventus, Inter or, clearly the pinnacle of his career, at West Ham, he was a Messi of his day a European Maradona. The affable Irishman arrived in east London in 1987, aged 31, following a season with Italian side Ascoli and immediately became a crowd favourite - despite being part of the squad relegated in 1989. Having featured 89 times for the Irons he made his farewell appearance on a sunny May day in West Ham's final game of the 1989/90 campaign against Wolves.

With West Ham already three-nil to the good through goals from Keen, Morley and Robson, Brady delighted the home fans with an 88th minute trademark finish to secure a 4-0 win. A spontaneous pitch invasion ensued and referee Allison, having deemed the final two minutes of the game unnecessary, blew for time as Brady was raised aloft by jubilant fans.

Not for the last time in this list we turn our attention to international matters. In June 1984 an under-pressure England, fresh from a surprise 2-1 defeat in Switzerland travelled to Hungary for a World Cup qualifier in a tight group also also involving Romania and minnows Norway - who England are famously humbled by in Oslo in their next game. However on this occasion the Three Lions secure a 3-1 victory - a win best remembered for Trevor Brooking's second half strike.

Brooking had given England an encouraging lead after 16 minutes when he finished from a similar position to his goal at Wembley in the FA Cup Final a year earlier. However Ron Greenwood's side are pegged back just before the break. On the hour mark a slick move on the left flank saw the ball find Brooking, poised just outside the penalty box. The Hammers' midfielder struck the ball instantly, firing into the top left stanchion where the ball remained for all to see. It remains an iconic moment a wonderful example of the almost telepathic communication Brooking shared with Kevin Keegan - and his most famous international goal.

It was the dawn of a new era. A newly-professional West Ham United had risen from the ashes of the disbanded Thames Ironworks FC, the works football club established by Old Harrovian Arnold Hills five years earlier in 1895. United's first fixture in the 1900/01 Southern League First Division campaign was against Gravesend, a game played in front of 2,000 supporters at Plaistow's Memorial Ground - one of a number of venues the club called home before finally settling at the Boleyn Ground in 1904.

The day - 1st September 1900 - belonged to William Grassam, who scored four of West Ham's seven goals and in doing so, became the club's first player to record a hat-trick. Also getting in on the act were James Reid (2) - a Scot like Grassam who also arrived at United via Burslem Port Vale - and Yorkshire-born Fergus Hunt. The 7-0 win was the club's biggest win of the season - and one that has rarely been beaten in the 111 years since.

April 2003: West Ham had been rocked by the news that manager Glenn Roeder was in a critical condition having collapsed after the narrow 1-0 home win against Middlesbrough that kept United's faint hopes of avoiding relegation alive. The club needed someone who could galvanise the players and the fans for the final three games of the season - at which point the much-maligned Terry Brown made one of the smartest decisions of his tenure.

Club legend Trevor Brooking, then in an advisory role at the club was installed as temporary manager to the delight of supporters. A tough trip to Manchester City was the first test for Brooking and his new charges, but carried along on a wave of newly-found hope and optimism his team snatched a vital three points thanks to Freddie Kanoute's 81st minute winner - a goal scored directly in front of the delirious travelling West Ham fans. The great escape was on.

When West Ham faced Wolves at the Boleyn on 6th March 1993 it was more than a week since West Ham's favourite son had passed away. The previous weekend had seen a minute's silence observed across the country - yet none more impeccably than at Roker Park, where West Ham played out a half-hearted 0-0 draw with Sunderland. But it was the following weekend that gave the club and its supporters the first chance to join together in grief at Moore's passing.

Both Green Street and the Boleyn Ground itself were awash with wreaths, memorials, replica kits and all sorts of other pieces of memorabilia depicting the great man left by football fans from around the world. It truly was a sight to behold. The game was preceeded by Moore's fellow World Cup-winning Hammers Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst laying a huge wreath, with a number 6 at it's centre-point, on the centre circle. Goals from Morley (who wore a number 12 shirt instead of 6), Dicks and Holmes cement a fitting result.

Tipped for the drop by many and having dipped in and out of the relegation zone for much of the season it was a therefore a pleasant surprise when Harry Redknapp's side went into the final game of the 1994/95 campaign safe in 14th spot. But whilst Redknapp's team - minus injured talisman Julian Dicks - may have had little but pride to play for, opponents Manchester United needed a win - and for Blackburn to lose at Liverpool - to secure the Premiership title.

Michael Hughes threw a huge spanner in the works by giving West Ham a 31st minute lead much to the delight of the majority in the 24,783 crowd - an advantage Redknapp's side carried into the half time break. But with danger man Mark Hughes thrown into the mix at the interval the Mancunians were a different prospect - and it was no surprise when they pulled level through Brian McClair just seven minutes after the restart.

With news that Blackburn were behind at Anfield, Ferguson's side sniffed victory and a Championship - but Ludo Miklosko had other ideas. Time after time the big Czech 'keeper denied Man U even still, a second goal seemed inevitable due to the visitors' total domination of the game. When Andy Cole was presented with a gilt-edged opportunity with moments to go it looked like West Ham's staunch resistance had all been for nothing - until Miklosko pulled off a stunning close-range save that sent the title to Ewood Park, despite Rovers having been beaten By Man Utd's arch rivals.

Since being promoted from the old DIvision Two in 1959, West Ham had enjoyed a 19-year run in the top flight - a period which represented the club's golden era and included two FA Cup wins and two European finals. But having flirted with relegation for a number of years, the club's presence in the top flight was under serious threat as the Hammers went into the final game of the 1977/78 campaign still in the relegation zone.

In truth, John Lyall's side should have been relegated long before but a run of six wins in eight games had suddenly made the impossible tantalisingly possible. Division One runners up - and champions of Europe - Liverpool stood in their way, just to make a difficult task even more so. A good start from the home side offered a glimmer of hope but once Terry McDermott had given the visitors the lead - and David Fairclough had added a second 23 minutes from time - the game was all but up.

As the final whistle blew it was too much for Billy Bonds, West Ham's colossus, who wept openly as he trudged slowly, sadly, back to the changing rooms. Wolves' win against Aston Villa a few days later finally condemned West Ham to Division Two for the first time since the 1950s.

With West Ham bottom of League Division One and heading for relegation the 1988/89 FA Cup was a chance for brief respite from a punishing league campaign. But United's third round pairing with eventual league champions Arsenal looked too big an ask for John Lyall's men, who at least had home advantage to draw comfort from.

The first tie, broadcast live by ITV ended in a 2-2 draw. West Ham had held a two goal advantage before capitulating (sound familiar?) and in the end, were forced to hang on for a replay. Given the difference in quality during the second half of the first tie, few gave Lyall's men a chance in the Highbury replay - but as history has proved time after time, it is in these situations that West Ham are at their most dangerous and having held Arsenal's previously free-scoring strikers at bay for 77 minutes, Leroy Rosenior bagged one with his head to send the Irons into the fourth round.

* Like to share your thoughts on this article? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

FERGUSON Genealogy

WikiTree is a community of genealogists growing an increasingly-accurate collaborative family tree that's 100% free for everyone forever. Please join us.

Please join us in collaborating on FERGUSON family trees. We need the help of good genealogists to grow a completely free shared family tree to connect us all.



Read Next:

Download our app

Top Features:

  • 5x faster loading of articles
  • In-flight/offline reading
  • Swipe between articles & photos
  • Live-scores from rugby and football matches

About Us

Follow Us


Policies supports the work of the Press Council of Ireland and the Office of the Press Ombudsman, and our staff operate within the Code of Practice. You can obtain a copy of the Code, or contact the Council, at, PH: (01) 6489130, Lo-Call 1890 208 080 or email: [email protected]

Please note that uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. For more information on cookies please refer to our cookies policy.

News images provided by Press Association and Photocall Ireland unless otherwise stated. Irish sport images provided by Inpho Photography unless otherwise stated. Wire service provided by Associated Press.

Journal Media does not control and is not responsible for user created content, posts, comments, submissions or preferences. Users are reminded that they are fully responsible for their own created content and their own posts, comments and submissions and fully and effectively warrant and indemnify Journal Media in relation to such content and their ability to make such content, posts, comments and submissions available. Journal Media does not control and is not responsible for the content of external websites.

West Ham fans sound right up for Celtic pre-season clash

Celtic v West Ham United might be entirely low-stakes, but try telling each club’s supporters.

Against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City, Celtic have enjoyed some fantastic nights. While a pre-season friendly may hold far less allure, it’s still a mouth-watering clash. The Frank McAvennie Derby, the David Moyes Invitational, the Albian Ajeti Rivalry, call it what you will.

And the excitement doesn’t just extend to supporters. Celtic’s own Jodie Bartle has claimed she’ll be there with bells on, having grown up as a Hammer supporter.

Subscribe to 67 Hail Hail TV now

Obviously, we’re not quite sure of how many supporters will be let in. Certainly, there’ll be fewer than when Celtic took on the Hammers for Bobby Moore’s testimonial in 1970 [WHUFC]. Billy McNeill, our greatest ever captain, took on the one man who could say the same for West Ham, in a truly iconic England v Scotland clash.

According to West Ham United’s official recollection of the testimonial [WHUFC]:

“Seven of the legendary Lisbon Lions were in Jock Stein’s side at the Boleyn Ground, including goalscorer Tommy Gemmell, captain Billy McNeill and the winger Jimmy ‘Jinky’ Johnstone.

Want to join the discussion?

Join the 67 Hail Hail Forum now and have your say

“On the other side, Ron Greenwood blended Hammers heroes like Moore, Geoff Hurst, Frank Lampard and Clyde Best with newer faces in full-back John McDowell, Moore’s new central defensive partner Tommy Taylor and 17-year-old winger Johnny Ayris.”

Frank McAvennie will be signing ballads at half-time. / (Photo by Jack Taylor/Getty Images)

West Ham United supporters seem very keen on Celtic meeting

Having been officially announced by West Ham earlier today, the response was rapid. Supporters of both sides were excited by the prospect.

Absolutely brilliant taking the Boss home for a friendly! Great history between the two clubs we have shared some outstanding players in the past. This will be a terrific day ⚒

— Mary (@ZaynafamilyMary) May 25, 2021

Looking forward to this match

— Erion Stringa⚒ (@ErionStringa) May 25, 2021

At least we chose the biggest club in Scotland to play against

— Callum (@Copysnot526th) May 25, 2021

Watch the video: West Ham United v Rapid Vienna - 300921 - Europa League Light Show and Bubbles (January 2022).